Associate Director, Worldwide Acquisition & Licensing
The Associate Director is the global leader of the Worldwide Acquisition and Licensing (WWAL) department responsible for delivering value to Kemin by pursuing and driving inorganic growth through strategic business acquisition and licensing of new technologies.
This position will report to the Kemin Industries (KI) Core Group to allow for expertise sharing, coaching, standard-setting, and executive approval on the acquisition and licensing projects. This reporting structure allows for functional expertise across cross-functional acquisition and licensing projects and allows full knowledge and prioritization of key projects within the KI Core Group.
The WWAL team will report to this position and will include a finance and technology report. Additionally, the manager of the China acquisitions team will have a dotted line report, to allow for management of the global acquisitions and licensing framework and full oversight of the global acquisition pipeline.
This position is responsible for leading/supporting all aspects of acquisition and licensing transactions through a stage-gated methodology which includes overseeing prospect screening and analysis of potential candidates and partnering with KI Core Group and/ or BU leadership to execute negotiation strategies and due diligence activities. They help shape the global acquisitions and licensing culture and performance by aligning the acquisition strategy to the overall corporate strategy. By adopting a repeatable and systematic approach, a global corporate framework is provided.
The position requires strategic thinking and execution of projects aimed at evaluating or conducting acquisitions, licensing, and divestitures. The scope of those projects can range from a corporate priority or span across multiple regions or support projects led by regional teams when those are of high strategic importance for Kemin’s business.
This is a “hands-on” role within WWAL with additional responsibility for personnel direction, oversight, and development. This role will also provide input on departmental and/or project budgetary needs, and process and workflow for the global acquisition framework. Although the role will exercise the ability to autonomously make accurate decisions in the team environment, investment and extraordinary decisions will be consulted with the KI Core Group and/or BU leadership team.
- Provides functional and industry expertise to review business acquisition and new technology opportunities, to execute the inorganic growth strategy.
- Plays a strategic role in leading or co-leading acquisition and licensing transactions through to term sheet to confirm criteria, screen and analyze prospects and gather and leverage integration planning inputs to support and ensure projects align with the overall Kemin business strategy.
- Partners closely with the business sponsor and business leadership during due diligence, to facilitate and provide oversight regarding the due diligence activities across all functional areas of any transaction inclusive of commercial, financial, technology, products, operations, sales, and marketing.
- Maintain an updated global list of potential acquisition and licensing targets by engaging local leadership teams, and coordinating with the big “R” and R&D teams to identify opportunities for cross-functional synergies and to fit Kemin’s global and regional strategic initiatives.
- Maintain and improve upon standard processes to conduct acquisitions and licensing, due diligence, engage investment companies, etc., and develop templates to facilitate the practical application of those standards; support BUs and contribute to developing skills and create a unified way of working across Kemin.
- Gather important information regarding risks and opportunities for impending and ongoing acquisitions and licensing activities, translating this information into fact-based and well-reasoned insights on the valuation and structural impact of the license or acquisition.
- Requires continual interactions with both internal and external business leaders in driving the ongoing alignment of projects. This position is additionally responsible for ensuring that internal acquisition processes and standards adhere.
- Provides a mentorship role to acquisition and licensing personnel across Kemin, ensuring constant improvement in their performance and skills.
- Compiles reports and supports market research required, for example, competitive analyses, to enable informed decision-making.
- Collaborates and partners across functions to ensure that proper protocols and processes are followed and adhered to on time for each transaction.
- Partners with the business to identify markets, industries, geographies, and technologies that complement the overall acquisitions and licensing strategy and translate these analyses into specified targets.
- Also plays an analytical role in overseeing detailed target analysis, financial modeling, market research, and strategic fit analyses.
- Delivers well communicated, balanced and comprehensive analyses for each stage of the transaction for the KI Core Group and key stakeholders to make decisions and final approvals of transactions.
- Works with external business leadership of prospecting businesses in supporting the management and execution of the acquisition and licensing process throughout the transaction life cycle.
- Responsible for maintaining knowledge of acquisition and licensing activities across the business, keeping up with industry best practices, and maintaining a high-performance level and success rate of acquisition and licensing activities.
- Required Education & Experience:
- Master’s degree with up to 6+ years experience in an analytical role and project management in marketing, economics, or business management
- Bachelor’s Degree, with 8+ years of previous related experience
- 5 years of experience in acquisitions and licensing analysis, business analysis, project management and direct leadership, and/or cross-functional project management leadership.
- Highly proficient in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, necessary for the creation of visually and verbally engaging reports and presentations for the business’s executives, stakeholders, and collaborating personnel
- Passion for research and analysis, being highly skilled in efficiently analyzing large data quantities, and understanding financial modeling to drive term sheet and due diligence
- Must be capable of forming strong, lasting, and meaningful relationships with others
- Strong written and oral communication skills, suitable for presentations and negotiation
- This position requires occasional travel to potential target locations and Kemin business globally. It is estimated that the successful candidate will be traveling internationally ~10% of their time
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Ingredients for a Sustainable Future.