Soybean Plant Pathology Intern
This job is no longer accepting applications.
GDM Seeds North America is growing fast and seeking Interns for our 2021 Internship Program.
From its start in Argentina in 1982, GDM is a multinational plant genetics company that applies state of the art technology to research, develop, and place the highest yielding soybean varieties on the market to generate consistent company, and customer growth. GDM's culture reflects market needs while also focusing on accomplishments, innovation, and evolution of the ever changing agricultural focus across the world.
As part of GDM’s Research team, our interns works with each branch of operations (Field Crew, Nursery, Purification, Production, and Warehouse) to gain first-hand knowledge of what it takes to run a successful soybean breeding program. Our goal is for the Research Interns to develop a holistic understanding of our soybean breeding program while earning valuable experience for the future.
- Currently pursing, or with plant to pursue, a degree in Plant Pathology, Agronomy, Plant & Soils Sciences or an equivalent/similar field of study.
- At least 1 year experience in disease screening and data analysis in a plant breeding environment.
- Excellent documentation/organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Responsible, timely, and trustworthy student looking to learn.
- Experience in plant disease screenings, laboratory and greenhouse assays, plant inoculations and data collection and consolidation.
- Experience in computers, database management and working with large data sets within excel.
- Knowledge of basic soybean physiology and research practices.
- Basic Spanish speaking ability and/or willingness to build team-based relationships despite potential language barriers.
- Ability to balance and prioritize tasks during peak busy times, along with the ability to work extended hours if needed during peak season.
- Ability to work without direct supervision.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Physically able to life 60lbs of shifting weight.
- Assist with all operations related to screening for soybean diseases, including seed collection organization, and seed shipping logistics.
- Use aseptic technique in a laboratory setting to cultivate plant pathogens through sub-culturing.
- Work in a greenhouse setting to assist with plant watering, seed sowing, hydroponic water maintenance, and overall cleaning.
- Scouting for disease identification in soybean fields and providing support to different areas of the company in disease control.
- Generate accurate, validated, and trustworthy phenotypic data.
- Proactively identify areas of improvement and collaborate with other company areas across the research pipeline.
COVID-19 Considerations: GDM is following all CDC and state guidelines as recommended for the safety of their employees and customers. Stations have implemented the use of face coverings, social distancing, and increase hygiene standards, among other safety considerations.
Company Website: (gdmseeds.com)
*Find us also on Linkedin, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!
Your application has been successfully submitted.