Lead Software Engineer
Farmers Risk is an early-stage startup focused on helping farmers improve their risk management. We do this by building tools to help farmers more effectively market their grain, buy crop insurance, hedge their crops, and improve their overall revenue decision-making. In a nutshell, we build tools for farmers to understand, manage, and execute their risk management strategies around turning a crop into cash.
In this role, you'll join a small, but fully empowered team to chase down customer problems and deliver clever, sustainable solutions. You’ll partner directly with the CTO to make the primary, foundational technical decisions that will support our growth and efficiency for years to come.
People who do well in this role love playing with new technologies, but still make pretty cold, calculated decisions on what to use in a mission-critical, production system. A person successful in this role will likely have done some of the following:
- Fought with Terraform to deploy services on a major cloud provider (AWS/Azure/GCP)
- Deployed several applications over their tenure, encompassing web (frontend), API, and backend data processing solutions.
- Maintained cloud-based SQL databases in a production environment
- Lead or heavily influenced the planning of CICD and IAC architectures
- Learned the value of telemetry and log aggregation tools the hard-way
The responsibilities of this role are primarily the following:
- Collaborating with our product managers and designers to solve hard problems for customers
- Architecting frontends, APIs, and/or services that are easy for your teammates to understand and maintain
- Make decisions supported by data and customer feedback
- Maintain our services with an ownership mentality
We feel candidates should have the following skills or skills that are comparable:
- Writing unit and integration tests
- At least an understanding of a major frontend library (e.g. React, Angular, Ember, or Vue)
- Experience instrumenting code with telemetry, logging, and/or metric collection solutions
Let us know if you have an experience that you feel sets you apart! This might look like this:
- You've owned or heavily contributed to an open-source project
- You understand a popular framework at a significant depth
- You've shipped a product of your own design/ideation
- You’ve had an entrepreneurial experience in the past
- You can make colleagues laugh over Slack
Lastly, but most importantly, we believe talent and zeal are not bound by specific geographies. We're happy to embrace remote work and try to optimize for a deliverable-based working style. We believe safe spaces where everyone can be their authentic selves are the key to a strong team so we welcome and embrace all identities, cultures, and backgrounds.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Farmer risk management reimagined